Monday, March 2, 2009

Celine Carroll Interview..Part 1
What is your background?
Writing and playing music most of my life.
Played with various Dublin bands down the years. Dipped in and out as a session player. And never entered the Eurovision Song Contest!!
Why do you want to record and release your own music?
For me, as a creative person, there has to be a begining, a middle and an end to songwriting. First of all, I write to get the demons out or sometimes the Angels.. If I'm happy with what I've created, I guess the next step is to share it with others. I enjoy the recording process because it's that little step further into creativity. And then to be able to put it into someone's hand and say 'Hey, take a listen, hope you like it'. That's a good feeling. Or send it out over the ether as the case may be today!!
What are your songs about?
About 3 Mins long!! That's the short answer.. I tend to write about the obvious..' The Human Condition.' How I treat that particular subject varies from song to song.
The heart is a great muse..We all have one, so we can all relate to something written about it. Also, when I'm away, I tend to write about going home. And when I'm home I sometimes write about travelling, moving on..Weird!!
Do you write your own songs?
Yep..I tend to write mostly on my own, with the guitar or at the piano. The lyrics and music are almost always written in tandem.
I have co-written with some really great people..But the thing about co-writing is, It's a bit like going on a blind date, if you know what I mean. You're kinda at the mercy of each other!! Luckily I've had some cool, productive 'blind-dates'!!
Who are your musical influences?
I suppose the original great American Songwriters, Cole Porter, the Gershwins, far too many to mention. Then of course The Beatles, especially McCartney, for his melody in particular. Of course Lennon...Together the most sucessful blind-date of all time!!
Other artist, James Taylor, The Eagles, all at the Brill building, Gilbert O' Sullivan, what a writer!!, Jimmy McCarthy, Walter Hyatt, Lucinda Williams, a few classical heads.... tons of people..
How do you describe your music to people?
Great songs, Great Sentiment, Honesty and a lot of Humour thrown in for good measure
What image do you think your music conveys?
I've been told on more than one occasion that my music is very cinematic. I don't think you can narrow it down to a single image. Different songs convey different emotions. I do think my songs are like short stories. And I do wear my heart on my sleeve alot. But I would like to think that there's an honesty about what I do. Is honesty an image??
What are your immediate music career goals?
The plan is to do more live performances. So full houses would be something to aim for!! Get some more songs recorded at a reasonable rate!!
Get my music to as many ears as possible. Oh yeah and shift a few cds in the process!!
What are your long-term career goals?
That's a bit like that horrible question...'Where do you see yourself in five years time?' I suppose to be the best success I can possibly be in this business called Show!! To be able to write great songs, record them and have people buy them would be great. If anything, it puts food on the table.. I would love to get some songs covered by other sucessful artists, that would be a great honour. Grammy, Oscar, etc.... I will always write songs. It's what I do, It's what I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment